If your child will be taking alternate transportation home from school please fill out the Alternate Transportation form and send it to school in the morning with your child. The form can be downloaded here. It can also be found under “Important Quick Links” on the left hand side of the Elementary South website.
Hawthorn District 73 was informed recently of a bus safety concern regarding the railroad crossing on Butterfield Road south of Illinois Route 60.
By law, school buses must stop at all railroad crossings, then the driver must open the door and get a visual of the tracks to be sure the tracks are clear of any trains. This particular railroad crossing is located close to a curve in the tracks and bus drivers must creep forward to visually view the tracks. Bus drivers can do this without being on the tracks but it is not an ideal situation. Hawthorn District 73 is committed to the safety of all our students and is working with the Village of Vernon Hills, our police resource officer, and our busing company, Lakeside Transportation in reevaluating this crossing.
Hawthorn Superintendent of Schools
- Principals Read at LibraryOctober 10, 2016 - 1:01 pm
- Toys for Tots DonationsNovember 1, 2016 - 5:26 pm
- Happy Halloween 2016!November 2, 2016 - 1:54 pm
- October 2016 SOAR WinnersNovember 3, 2016 - 12:15 pm
- Bus SafetyNovember 10, 2016 - 1:23 pm
- HES Moring News BroadcastNovember 10, 2016 - 1:34 pm
- Library Bookmark ContestNovember 14, 2016 - 9:46 pm
- Thank you for Visiting!November 16, 2016 - 9:17 am
- Bullying Awareness WebsiteFebruary 19, 2018 - 11:14 am
- Happy Chinese New Year!February 16, 2018 - 10:05 am
- We Want Your Advice about District 73’s FutureFebruary 15, 2018 - 4:37 pm
- A Message Regarding Events in FloridaFebruary 15, 2018 - 4:19 pm
- Parent Volunteers Needed for Climbing UnitFebruary 15, 2018 - 7:15 am
- Information Session on ParentingFebruary 15, 2018 - 7:01 am
- Kindergarten Parent Information Night SlideshowFebruary 1, 2018 - 3:42 pm
- January 2018 SOAR WinnersFebruary 1, 2018 - 9:38 am