When parents arrive for parent-teacher conferences, they will see hallways filled with decorations. To keep the growth mindset alive at Elementary South, the school held a door decoration contest. Students researched growth mindset quotes and created door decorations using the quotation themes. STAR Team members judged the decorations.
Hawthorn has been preparing its new teachers to make the parent teacher conference experience as seamless as possible. Recently parents and seasoned teachers highlighted what teachers should expect during the 15-minute meetings and how to make sure it is a positive experience for both parents and new staff.
Here are Tips & Tactics suggested by parents and seasoned teachers for Hawthorn’s 38 new staff members:
- Be prepared for the Meeting. Parents and teachers only have 15 minutes to discuss a child’s progress.
- Create a Happy Sandwich – Start and end the conversation with positive information about their child.
- Stay positive throughout the meeting.
- Keep conversations “student-centered” and “learning-centered.”
- Parents want to know if there is a problem with their child whether it is social, emotional or academic. Be honest.
- Parent teacher conferences should not be the first time parents hear of a problem or concern with their child.
- Parents don’t want teachers to go over everything in a child’s portfolio; give them the highlights and send parents home with their child’s homework and projects.
- Make sure the classroom teacher and the child’s specials teachers – math, speech, etc. – are sending the same messages to parents.
- Give parents time to ask questions.
- If you realize you are running out of time, reschedule the conversation for a later time.
- If parents get off topic refer them or their child to experts who can help them with matters that are not classroom/school related.
- Provide resources or takeaways that parents can take away with them regarding concerns you raised.
Fall Parent Teacher Conferences will be held at the following times. If you still need a conference time, please contact your child’s teacher.
Thursday, Nov 21 3:00 – 8:00 PM Kdg Only
Monday, Nov 25 3:00 – 8:00 PM K-5
Tuesday, Nov 26 8:00 – 11:30 AM K-5
- Comité de Padres Bilingües/ Bilingual Parent Advisory...September 12, 2016 - 2:57 pm
- Parents Attend Preview of “Be Seen and Heard Asse...October 14, 2016 - 3:08 pm
- SOAR Supports Hawthorn HustleOctober 15, 2016 - 1:44 pm
- 2016 Hawthorn Hustle Pumpkin Chase Fun RunOctober 17, 2016 - 9:51 am
- Calculating VolumeOctober 18, 2016 - 12:30 pm
- Promoting ReadingOctober 18, 2016 - 12:34 pm
- Students Attend “Be Seen and Heard”© AssemblyOctober 18, 2016 - 3:24 pm
- Red Ribbon Week 2016 ActivitiesOctober 19, 2016 - 8:41 am
- November 2017 SOAR WinnersDecember 1, 2017 - 10:15 am
- December 2017 NewsletterNovember 29, 2017 - 8:29 am
- Clarification About Today’s DrillNovember 28, 2017 - 12:37 pm
- November Birthday BashNovember 17, 2017 - 3:54 pm
- Growth Mindset Decorations Enliven the HallwaysNovember 17, 2017 - 12:24 pm
- Save the Dates for the 2018 Hawthorn Enrichment Institu...November 16, 2017 - 10:45 am
- Elementary South Observes American Education WeekNovember 15, 2017 - 2:21 pm
- Cook Memorial Library Design a Bookmark Contest WinnersNovember 14, 2017 - 11:19 am