The AYP/School Choice Meeting and Round Table Discussion has been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 12 beginning at 7 p.m. at Hawthorn Middle South, 600 N. Aspen Drive, Vernon Hills. The meeting was originally scheduled for March 5, but was cancelled due to the winter storm. More information on the issue is posted on the Hawthorn District website.
Federal and state mandates set forth by the No Child Left Behind legislation require that Hawthorn modify our current school choice programs. In support of that decision-making, parents are encouraged learn more and give input by attending the AYP/School Choice Meeting and Round Table Discussion on Tuesday, March 5 beginning at 7 p.m. at Hawthorn Middle South, 600 N. Aspen Drive, Vernon Hills.
Hawthorn is currently examining our school choice program and how we place students in our schools. This examination is being done in light of the fact that our choice program as currently configured does not comply with current law, as outlined by No Child Left Behind (NCLB) and our performance toward Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) targets.
January 14, 2013: Superintendent Nick Brown advises the Hawthorn Board of Education about the situation. For more information, please review the presentation entitled Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP): An Issue of Federal Mandates as well as view the video of the January 14 board meeting. Information about activities of the board are archived on the Hawthorn School Board webpages: http://www.hawthorn73.org/schoolboard
February 2013: Hawthorn Superintendent Nick Brown convenes the AYP Committee, a group of educators and parents representing each of our schools. The group has been meeting to explore the situation and develop options.
March 5, 2013: The AYP Committee will hold a Parent Information Meeting and Round Table Discussion to explain the AYP issues and how they impact our school choice program. The Round Table Discussion is designed to allow attendees to provide their suggestions and comments to the Committee. The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 5, 2013 beginning at 7 p.m. at Hawthorn Middle South, 600 N. Aspen Drive, Vernon Hills.
March 2013: The AYP Committee is expected to create an online survey to solicit additional feedback from the community.
March or April 2013: The AYP Committee is expected to present options and recommendations to the Hawthorn Board of Education in an effort to bring our program and processes into compliance with all federal and state mandates.
Letter – February 26, 2013 – AYP and School Choice; Parent Meeting and Round Table Discussion: 7 p.m., Tuesday, March 5 at Middle South, English and Spanish
Brochure – February 27, 2013 – AYP and Its Impact on School Choice in Hawthorn District 73, which is also available in Spanish
Backpack Note – February/March 2013
Backpack Note – February 2013
- Notification: fertilizer and weed control applicationMay 6, 2016 - 12:25 pm
- Family Dance Photo Booth PicturesMay 9, 2016 - 12:05 pm
- May 2016 NewsletterMay 10, 2016 - 2:01 pm
- Band & Orchestra CampMay 10, 2016 - 7:03 pm
- Most Improved AwardMay 10, 2016 - 7:18 pm
- Register NowMay 11, 2016 - 5:24 pm
- Countryside Food DriveMay 12, 2016 - 10:49 am
- Thanks to the School Leadership TeamMay 18, 2016 - 6:12 pm
- Early Voting Begins this Week for the April 4 ElectionMarch 22, 2017 - 9:36 am
- Spirit Night at Chick-fil-AMarch 21, 2017 - 1:26 pm
- 6th Grade Parent OrientationMarch 20, 2017 - 7:58 am
- Signs of Suicide & Depression AwarenessMarch 20, 2017 - 7:06 am
- Dual Language Expands to Middle SchoolsMarch 19, 2017 - 1:33 pm
- Education Foundation LaunchedMarch 19, 2017 - 1:23 pm
- Register Now for D73 Summer ClassesMarch 19, 2017 - 12:38 pm
- Aspen Art FairMarch 18, 2017 - 1:37 pm