First and second graders at Elementary South enjoyed outdoor end of year parties. They took turns at everything from hula hoop twirling to potato sack racing.
The children in Ms. Bleck’s first grade class wore Red Noses for Red Nose Day. Red Nose Day is a campaign dedicated to raising money for children and young people living in poverty by simply having fun and making people laugh. The funds raised during the Red Nose Day Campaign will be given to a variety of nonprofit organizations that transform children’s lives.
On Thursday, May 14th, first grade students took a field trip to Heller Nature Center in Highland Park. Heller’s Education Program offers an opportunity for students to learn about the natural world through experiences in an outdoor setting. The children discovered the four basic components of all habitats and how they are important to the survival of living things.
First grade students from Mrs. Lawless’ and Mrs. Faith’s class participated in Reader’s Theater before spring break. The students had time to rehearse their lines, make props and then perform them in front of a live audience of their peers. Click on the link below to see their production.
At Hawthorn Elementary South School first graders are falling in love with the numbers game.
“Teachers understand that it is crucial for students to have a solid math foundation in order to have a deep understanding of the world around them,” said Principal Jill Martin.
Rather than memorize math facts children in the Hawthorn School District 73 first grade classrooms work toward critical mathematical thinking. For instance, teachers may engage the students in a barbecue problem like if your four grandparents, your parents and your brother and you have dinner together how many ears of corn do you need to buy at the grocery store?
“Students develop greater knowledge of numbers and equations within 10. They will develop new strategies for adding and subtracting numbers within 10, based on their knowledge of smaller numbers,” Dr. Martin said.
The earlier children are when they make math connections the easier it will be for them to make connections to real experiences as they get older,” she said.
- Back to School BashAugust 23, 2016 - 8:39 am
- Enrichment Deadline ApproachingSeptember 21, 2016 - 6:49 pm
- Elementary South Makes the Top 10 ListSeptember 22, 2016 - 6:17 pm
- Health Requirements for New StudentsSeptember 23, 2016 - 10:43 am
- Community Input SoughtSeptember 26, 2016 - 10:03 am
- Community Meeting Offers ChildcareOctober 5, 2016 - 3:11 pm
- Clown WatchOctober 5, 2016 - 3:31 pm
- Be Seen and Heard Assembly – Parent Information M...October 6, 2016 - 7:03 am
- PE Night is a BlastOctober 19, 2017 - 8:21 am
- Thanks for Joining Us at Aspen Drive LibraryOctober 18, 2017 - 9:54 am
- Halloween Procedures at Elementary SouthOctober 16, 2017 - 12:55 pm
- Red Ribbon Week 2017October 12, 2017 - 10:47 am
- Dr. Martin Reads at Aspen Drive LibraryOctober 12, 2017 - 7:26 am
- Alternate Transportation FormOctober 11, 2017 - 2:23 pm
- Volunteers needed for Elementary South Pumpkin ChaseOctober 6, 2017 - 12:46 pm
- Hawthorn Elementary South wins 6th place in the Lake County...October 4, 2017 - 3:45 pm