The children in Ms. Bleck’s first grade class wore Red Noses for Red Nose Day. Red Nose Day is a campaign dedicated to raising money for children and young people living in poverty by simply having fun and making people laugh. The funds raised during the Red Nose Day Campaign will be given to a variety of nonprofit organizations that transform children’s lives.
On Thursday, May 14th, first grade students took a field trip to Heller Nature Center in Highland Park. Heller’s Education Program offers an opportunity for students to learn about the natural world through experiences in an outdoor setting. The children discovered the four basic components of all habitats and how they are important to the survival of living things.
First grade students from Mrs. Lawless’ and Mrs. Faith’s class participated in Reader’s Theater before spring break. The students had time to rehearse their lines, make props and then perform them in front of a live audience of their peers. Click on the link below to see their production.
At Hawthorn Elementary South School first graders are falling in love with the numbers game.
“Teachers understand that it is crucial for students to have a solid math foundation in order to have a deep understanding of the world around them,” said Principal Jill Martin.
Rather than memorize math facts children in the Hawthorn School District 73 first grade classrooms work toward critical mathematical thinking. For instance, teachers may engage the students in a barbecue problem like if your four grandparents, your parents and your brother and you have dinner together how many ears of corn do you need to buy at the grocery store?
“Students develop greater knowledge of numbers and equations within 10. They will develop new strategies for adding and subtracting numbers within 10, based on their knowledge of smaller numbers,” Dr. Martin said.
The earlier children are when they make math connections the easier it will be for them to make connections to real experiences as they get older,” she said.
- Process Continues on FacilitiesApril 21, 2016 - 5:42 pm
- BOE Meeting on Architect AssessmentMay 19, 2016 - 10:07 am
- Building a Stronger CommunityMay 20, 2016 - 12:01 pm
- Fifth Grade Science FairMay 20, 2016 - 1:43 pm
- Parent Education NightMay 25, 2016 - 1:19 pm
- Got2RunMay 25, 2016 - 2:53 pm
- Enroll Now for FallMay 26, 2016 - 8:25 am
- BOE Invites Input from ParentsMay 26, 2016 - 8:32 am
- Reader’s Theater in Mrs. Worden’s ClassApril 21, 2017 - 12:40 pm
- Important Information for Bus Riders from Westwood Neig...April 20, 2017 - 1:10 pm
- Fifth Grade Science FairApril 20, 2017 - 8:48 am
- Teacher and Staff Appreciation WeekApril 19, 2017 - 7:10 am
- Family Fitness Night Was a Blast!April 17, 2017 - 1:40 pm
- Stemapalooza Comes to Elementary South!April 17, 2017 - 11:09 am
- Personalized LearningApril 16, 2017 - 5:57 pm
- Stevenson Math CarnivalApril 13, 2017 - 10:32 am