First and second graders at Elementary South enjoyed outdoor end of year parties. They took turns at everything from hula hoop twirling to potato sack racing.
The children in Ms. Bleck’s first grade class wore Red Noses for Red Nose Day. Red Nose Day is a campaign dedicated to raising money for children and young people living in poverty by simply having fun and making people laugh. The funds raised during the Red Nose Day Campaign will be given to a variety of nonprofit organizations that transform children’s lives.
On Thursday, May 14th, first grade students took a field trip to Heller Nature Center in Highland Park. Heller’s Education Program offers an opportunity for students to learn about the natural world through experiences in an outdoor setting. The children discovered the four basic components of all habitats and how they are important to the survival of living things.
First grade students from Mrs. Lawless’ and Mrs. Faith’s class participated in Reader’s Theater before spring break. The students had time to rehearse their lines, make props and then perform them in front of a live audience of their peers. Click on the link below to see their production.
At Hawthorn Elementary South School first graders are falling in love with the numbers game.
“Teachers understand that it is crucial for students to have a solid math foundation in order to have a deep understanding of the world around them,” said Principal Jill Martin.
Rather than memorize math facts children in the Hawthorn School District 73 first grade classrooms work toward critical mathematical thinking. For instance, teachers may engage the students in a barbecue problem like if your four grandparents, your parents and your brother and you have dinner together how many ears of corn do you need to buy at the grocery store?
“Students develop greater knowledge of numbers and equations within 10. They will develop new strategies for adding and subtracting numbers within 10, based on their knowledge of smaller numbers,” Dr. Martin said.
The earlier children are when they make math connections the easier it will be for them to make connections to real experiences as they get older,” she said.
- Got2RunMay 25, 2016 - 2:53 pm
- August 2016 NewsletterAugust 24, 2016 - 1:26 pm
- Thanks for Attending New to South PlaydateAugust 24, 2016 - 1:41 pm
- Tears and CheersAugust 24, 2016 - 1:58 pm
- PTO Store – How Easy is This?!August 29, 2016 - 12:51 pm
- Room Party MoneySeptember 1, 2016 - 7:14 am
- Important Information about Student AbsencesSeptember 7, 2016 - 2:24 pm
- Orchestra/Band Date ChangeSeptember 7, 2016 - 3:43 pm
- New To Elementary South Slide PresentationAugust 17, 2017 - 9:43 am
- Get Ready for the Residency EventJuly 31, 2017 - 3:41 pm
- End of School Parties are a Big HitJune 6, 2017 - 3:43 pm
- Elementary South 2017 Field DayJune 1, 2017 - 1:52 pm
- May 2017 SOAR WinnersJune 1, 2017 - 11:10 am
- Fifth Grade Healthy Lifestyles Graduation CeremonyMay 25, 2017 - 10:46 am
- ES/Aspen 2017 Spring Orchestra ConcertMay 25, 2017 - 10:10 am
- Elementary South Volunteers are the Best!May 25, 2017 - 9:36 am