A chill is in the air, the pumpkins are in the patch, Halloween is approaching and we are getting excited about our upcoming festivities. We will celebrate on Tuesday, October 31, 2017. Please remember, when purchasing this year’s costume, our school promotes kindness. Children as young as five years old attend our school and we do not want anyone to be frightened! Weapons will not be allowed on school grounds and we discourage any blood and gore. All students are to bring their costumes to school in a bag labeled with your child’s name. Because students are changing at school and bathroom space is limited, please have your child wear any parts of his/her costume that are clothes (IE tights, black pants, etc).
The Halloween parade will start at approximately 1:15. Students will exit their wing doors in an orderly fashion and walk around the building counter clockwise until they return back to their wing door. Parents, please spread out on the perimeter of the building to get these Kodak Moments!! In case of rain, the parade will take place in the building (Parents can take pics in the gym).
Parties run from the end of the parade until 2:30. Only pre-approved room parents will be allowed down to classrooms. The Vernon Hills Police Department has allowed parents to park on the East side of Aspen during the Halloween festivities. Please note that your car must be moved in time for dismissal. Please do NOT block the bus lanes in the back of the school or the pick up line in the front of school. Please do NOT SEND ANY FOOD or CANDY!
Please remember, that the remainder of the day is a regular school day. We will maintain an academic atmosphere where LEARNING will be the focus. If you do not want your child to participate in Halloween festivities, please contact your child’s teacher for alternate activities.
Looking forward to seeing you all on Halloween!
If your child will be taking alternate transportation home from school please fill out the Alternate Transportation form and send it to school in the morning with your child. The form can be downloaded here. It can also be found under “Important Quick Links” on the left hand side of the Elementary South website.
Congratulations to the staff and students at Hawthorn Elementary South for taking 6th place in the Lake County Regional Office of Education’s Attendance and Truancy Division Twenty-Seventh Annual Fall Attendance Competition. The Attendance Competition promotes improved school attendance at the beginning of the school year, and emphasizes the need to attend regularly to receive full educational benefits. Thank you to everyone for ensuring our students attend school each and every day!
Congratulations to Annie Zbylut, a third grade student at Elementary South. She was selected as Artsonia’s PreK-3rd “ARTIST OF THE WEEK” for September 17 – September 23. During the contest, Annie received 2392 votes from website visitors. Artsonia is the largest student art museum in the world.
This morning there was a suspicious black car we believe to be a Lincoln possibly taking photos of students as they entered school. The car was parked off of school property. Please take extra caution and keep a watchful eye. Inform our Resource Officer Jon Paret or the Vernon Hills Police Department if you see anything out of the ordinary.
- Back to School BashAugust 23, 2016 - 8:39 am
- Enrichment Deadline ApproachingSeptember 21, 2016 - 6:49 pm
- Elementary South Makes the Top 10 ListSeptember 22, 2016 - 6:17 pm
- Health Requirements for New StudentsSeptember 23, 2016 - 10:43 am
- Community Input SoughtSeptember 26, 2016 - 10:03 am
- Community Meeting Offers ChildcareOctober 5, 2016 - 3:11 pm
- Clown WatchOctober 5, 2016 - 3:31 pm
- Be Seen and Heard Assembly – Parent Information M...October 6, 2016 - 7:03 am
- PE Night is a BlastOctober 19, 2017 - 8:21 am
- Thanks for Joining Us at Aspen Drive LibraryOctober 18, 2017 - 9:54 am
- Halloween Procedures at Elementary SouthOctober 16, 2017 - 12:55 pm
- Red Ribbon Week 2017October 12, 2017 - 10:47 am
- Dr. Martin Reads at Aspen Drive LibraryOctober 12, 2017 - 7:26 am
- Alternate Transportation FormOctober 11, 2017 - 2:23 pm
- Volunteers needed for Elementary South Pumpkin ChaseOctober 6, 2017 - 12:46 pm
- Hawthorn Elementary South wins 6th place in the Lake County...October 4, 2017 - 3:45 pm