Fifth graders worked on a STEM lesson to create ballon cars during the Elementary South STEM-A-PALOOZA. They focused on force and resistance while designing their cars. Each student was given the freedom to create and adapt their cars to create the fastest car.
This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud webmaster contributed a whooping 290 entries.
Entries by webmaster
Thank you to all of the families who attended our Open Houses and Musical Performances last week. Our students in 3rd and 5th grade enjoyed performing some of their favorites songs including Pizza Love, Talkin’ About the Moon, It’s a Fine Day, Sing, and Can’t Stop the Feeling.
Congratulations to all of our March and April SOAR (SAFE, ON TASK, ACT RESPONSIBLE, RESPECT) winners. Each of these students “Soared Above the Line” in academics or behavior.
During the Stemapalooza event held at Elementary South on April 28th, the 4th grade classes participated in a “Parachuters” STEM activity with volunteers from ETA hand2mind. They followed the process of imagine, plan, make, test and improve to design individual parachutes out of a variety of materials in order to safely land a small figurine.
Click here to download pictures that were taken at Elementary South’s Family Dance that took place on Friday, April 7th.
It was so great to see so many of you at OPEN HOUSE last week. A huge THANK YOU to our music teachers: Kathy Rossett, and Pam Yeo for all their hard work preparing the students for our shows. They sang their hearts out and the teachers and students prepared the classrooms for a wonderful event.
A big thank you to Ms. Bleck for successfully securing the Illinois Biodiversity Field Trip Grant from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. The grant paid for bus transportation and admission for all of Elementary South’s first graders to visit the Heller Nature Center in Highland Park on Thursday, April 13th.
The week of May 1st has been designated as Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week for our schools. As the year winds down, the Hawthorn PTO would like to thank the teachers and staff for the hard work they put forth for our children each and every day. WE CAN’T DO THIS WITHOUT YOUR SUPPORT!
Please enjoy these pictures of 2nd grade students performing in Mrs. Worden’s Reader’s Theater.
On Tuesday, April 18th, 5th grade students participated in Elementary South’s Science Fair. As part of their science fair project students completed a thorough lab report and a trifold explaining what scientific question they answered through their testing.
- Fifth Grade Science FairMay 20, 2016 - 1:43 pm
- Summer Readers RuleAugust 24, 2016 - 10:43 am
- SOAR Above the LineAugust 24, 2016 - 1:09 pm
- August 2016 NewsletterAugust 24, 2016 - 1:26 pm
- Thanks for Attending New to South PlaydateAugust 24, 2016 - 1:41 pm
- Tears and CheersAugust 24, 2016 - 1:58 pm
- PTO Store – How Easy is This?!August 29, 2016 - 12:51 pm
- Room Party MoneySeptember 1, 2016 - 7:14 am
- End of School Parties are a Big HitJune 6, 2017 - 3:43 pm
- Elementary South 2017 Field DayJune 1, 2017 - 1:52 pm
- May 2017 SOAR WinnersJune 1, 2017 - 11:10 am
- Fifth Grade Healthy Lifestyles Graduation CeremonyMay 25, 2017 - 10:46 am
- ES/Aspen 2017 Spring Orchestra ConcertMay 25, 2017 - 10:10 am
- Elementary South Volunteers are the Best!May 25, 2017 - 9:36 am
- ES/Aspen 2017 Spring Band ConcertMay 23, 2017 - 8:07 am
- SOAR Runs in the Rain for a Good Cause!May 22, 2017 - 3:46 pm