Hawthorn Elementary South School is well known for its many acts of kindness that help children feel included in activities, lunchtime chatter, and recess four square. But SAGES (Student Activity Group of Elementary South) went one step further and designated a ‘Buddy Table’ where students could sit at recess if they felt lonely, left out, […]
About Margaret Van Duch
This author has yet to write their bio.Meanwhile lets just say that we are proud Margaret Van Duch contributed a whooping 70 entries.
Entries by Margaret Van Duch
Twelve students received the David Yomtoob Most Improved Student Award during a Hawthorn District 73 Board of Education meeting. Each year former Hawthorn superintendent Youssef Yomtoob, and his wife, Parichehr, recognize students whose essays were selected for expressing how they improved over a period of time in such areas as academics, social skills, and behavior. […]
On April 26, the Lake County Region Illinois Principals Association hosted its annual breakfast and recognition ceremony at Vernon Hills High School. Principals nominated students in their schools who have shown outstanding achievements in school and community. They, along with their parents and the building administrators, have breakfast and then are recognized with a certificate from […]
Please read attached notification about busing.
Check out the annual District 73 Art Show at the Aspen Drive Library. Close to 400 student artists displayed unique forms of art during the art show. Click here to see the many artists and their artwork. Artwork is on display through Friday, April 7. The art show represents all the schools strongest pieces including drawings, paintings, collages, paper sculptures, Papier-mâché […]
At Elementary South the kindergarten and first grade classes enjoyed hearing a local author read his book about many important life lessons impacting students today. Author Brian Gryn read from the Magic Zoo, which teaches children the benefits of having a positive attitude. “At the younger grades we focus on students showing perseverance, […]
For nearly two decades, Hawthorn South has partnered with companies like CDW to offer Junior Achievement (JA) programs to its students. The lessons provide them with knowledge and skills in financial literacy, work readiness and entrepreneurship and are presented by volunteers who deliver relevant, hands-on experiences in the classroom.A CDW employee recently worked with teacher Stacie […]
Students from Elementary South and other area schools were invited to lunch and to shop with Vernon Hills and Lincolnshire police as part of the Cops and Kids program, which treats children to gifts during the holiday season. The Elementary South choir joined in the festivities with singing and staff like Principal Jill Martin escorted […]
Students talk turkey at Elementary South. Students work on language lessons that incorporate Thanksgiving vocabulary.
The Elementary South Courage Committee offers bus safety tips to students.
- Back to School BashAugust 23, 2016 - 8:39 am
- Enrichment Deadline ApproachingSeptember 21, 2016 - 6:49 pm
- Elementary South Makes the Top 10 ListSeptember 22, 2016 - 6:17 pm
- Health Requirements for New StudentsSeptember 23, 2016 - 10:43 am
- Community Input SoughtSeptember 26, 2016 - 10:03 am
- Community Meeting Offers ChildcareOctober 5, 2016 - 3:11 pm
- Clown WatchOctober 5, 2016 - 3:31 pm
- Be Seen and Heard Assembly – Parent Information M...October 6, 2016 - 7:03 am
- PE Night is Full of Fun for Third to Fifth GradersOctober 20, 2017 - 2:26 pm
- PE Night is a BlastOctober 19, 2017 - 8:21 am
- Thanks for Joining Us at Aspen Drive LibraryOctober 18, 2017 - 9:54 am
- Halloween Procedures at Elementary SouthOctober 16, 2017 - 12:55 pm
- Red Ribbon Week 2017October 12, 2017 - 10:47 am
- Dr. Martin Reads at Aspen Drive LibraryOctober 12, 2017 - 7:26 am
- Alternate Transportation FormOctober 11, 2017 - 2:23 pm
- Volunteers needed for Elementary South Pumpkin ChaseOctober 6, 2017 - 12:46 pm